A. SATAN ATTACKS
Satan attacks the individual Christian mostly through temptation. And he focuses this assault in two spheres:
- 1. The Desires Of The World
He will seek to tempt a believer to become absorbed into the world’s system.
- To make the material blessings that the world offers a central desire;
- To make the honour and recognition of this world an important goal; and
- To make the comfort of being one with those of this world our basis for security
- 2. The Desires Of The Flesh
Through Christ’s work on the cross, the true Christian is delivered from the results of sin, and from the power of sin (Romans 6:6-14). But he still lives in a physical body that is subject to natural appetites and desires. Satan will use these to try and get a Christian tp place greater importance upon them than the promptings of the Holy Spirit within him (Romans 8:5-9). See also James 1:14; Ephesians 2:3.
- B. SATAN’S ORIGINAL VICTORY
It was in the areas of the world and the flesh that Satan won his original victory in the temptation of the first man and woman, and these are still his static today.
“For all that is in the world, the LUST OF THE FLESH [craving for sensual gratification], and the LUST OF THE EYES [greedy longings of the mind] and the PRIDE OF LIFE [assurance in one’s own resources or in the stability of earthly things] – these do not come from the Father but from the world [itself]” (1 John 2:16 amp).
Compare Eve’s Temptation With This Verse:
Genesis 3:6 ———————————————————————–1 John 2:16
Good FOR FOOD ——————————————————“Lust of the flesh”
Pleasing TO THE EYE ————————————————-“Lust of the eyes”
Desiring for GAINING WISDOM ————————————–“Pride of Life”
Since the fall of Adam and Eve, all mankind has been governed by the flesh (the three things outlined above).
- C. VICTORY WON BY CHRIST
- 1. Through His Life
Jesus was tempted in everything, exactly as we are, “yet was without sin” (Hebrews 4:15).
Compare Jesus’ Temptation With This Verse:
- 2. Through His Deah And Ressurection
Faith that apropiates (claims, recieves) Christ’s work releases the Christian fron the power and dominion that sin had over him (Rom. 8:9)
He is now free to choose to walk in obedience to God (Rom. 6:8-14)
- D. THE CHRISTIAN’S CONTINUAL VICTORY
Based on the foundation of this great victory won for us by chirst, the Christian can now defeat any attack from the enemy. Here are seven keys to continual victory:
- 1. Know The Victory is Already Won
Because of his defeat at the Cross, the devil’s only strength now is found in a Christian ignorance (Hos. 4:6). But when a Christian knows the complete work of the Cross and Resurrection in his life, the devil is stripped of any weapon against him.
- 2. Walk In Step With The Spirit
A new power is placed within the Christian – The Holy Spirit Himself. We are to walk in obedience to his inner promptings day by day (Gal. 5:22-25).
3. Recognize Temptation For What It Is
Temptation is NOT sin. YIELDING to temptation is! (Jas. 1:15). See also Gen, 4:6.
4. Understand There Is A Way Of Escape Provided
“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can also stand up under it.” (1 Cor. 10:13). James 4:7 details the way of escape: Submit to GOD. Resist the devil And he shall flee.
5. Keep The Right Focus In Life
“Since, then you have been rasied wih Christ, set your hearts on thing above, where Chrsit is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above not on earthly things.” (Col. 3:1,2)
6. Keep Away From Obvious Areas Of Temptation
“I will set before my eyes no vile thing” (Ps. 101:3). See also 1 Tim. 6:9-11.
7. Be Aware Of Satan’s Schemes
It is important for us to know the tactics that the enemy uses against us so that we are not outwitted by him (2 Cor. 2:11).
- a. He is a liar (John 8:44)
- b. He is a slanderer and accuser (Rev. 12:10)
- c. He is a tempter (Matt. 4:1-11)
- d. He is a hinderer (1 Ths 2:18)
- e. He is an oppressor (Acts 10:38)
- f. He is as a roaring lion (1 Pet. 5:8)
- g. He can transform himself into an angel of light (2 Cor. 11:14)
- TEMPTATION Everyones challenge to resist (meanlittleboy2.wordpress.com)
- What is wrong with viewing pornography, if I don’t lust after the person? (altruistico.wordpress.com)
- Overcoming Temptations – Part I (tehgood.wordpress.com)
- Resist Temptation (kswptim.wordpress.com)