“…and he said unto them, come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while, for there were many coming and going and they had no leisure so much as to eat.” (Mark 6:31)
The new life we received from the Lord is a life to be renewed constantly. We cannot be able to keep a refreshing christian life and experience without renewal (2 Corinthians 4:16).
One of the greatest secrets of the sweet fragrance coming from Christ at all times, the power flowing from Him constantly, and authority following His words is the fact of the personal retreat which the LORD kept constantly.
Jesus was the most busy person anyone can think of, yet He never get sapped of spiritual strength at any time. He never got dry spiritually. Spiritual wilderness experience was never tasted by Christ, as it happens to most Christians and ministers today. The reason is clear, Jesus never got Himself busy to the extent of forgetting to pray. Activities today were never too engagade to forget to be alone with God from time to time. No wonder virtue went out of Him constantly (Luke 5:15-16, 16:12-19, Mark 1:35)
The disciples of Christ have not learnt this golden lesson from the life of Christ, Jesus called their attention to the importance of coming apart into a solitary place for a refreshing (Mark 6:30-31).
If our lives shall fulfil God’s purpose and we shall be used of God to His highest pleasure, we must learn how to keep a personal retreat (Isaiah 50:4-5).
1. We must keep a ‘morning watch’ (Mark 1:35).
2. We must keep a devotional heart (1 Peter 3:15).
3. We must learn to take time off busy activities to get alone with God in Bible study and prayer (Luke 5:15-16).
4. Dedicating minutes, or hours, or days to spiritual retreat to be alone with God must be our practice (Exodus 34:2-3, 28).
5. We must be willing to follow a spiritual leader to mountain of transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-8).
7. At morning, evening, noon – we must find time to appear before the Lord daily (Psalm 55:17).
Reflection: “Awake up, my glory, awake psaltery and harp; I myself will awake early.” (Ps. 57:8)
[Extracted from ‘Foundation Manual’ of The Living Truth Church]